Read our 2016 Report Card for Udall.
Our unique analysis of the bills Udall has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Udall is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Tom Udall sits on the following committees:
- Vice Chairman, Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
- Joint Committee on Printing
Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of Defense
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development
- Member, Subcommittee on Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Member, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- Member, Subcommittee on Africa and Global Health Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Multilateral International Development, Multilateral Institutions, and International Economic, Energy, and Environmental Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on State Department and USAID Management, International Operations, and Bilateral International Development
- Member, Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere, Transnational Crime, Civilian Security, Democracy, Human Rights, and Global Women's Issues
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
Udall was the primary sponsor of 17 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 986 (114th): Albuquerque Indian School Land Transfer Act
- S. 501 (114th): New Mexico Navajo Water Settlement Technical Corrections Act
- S. 898 (113th): Albuquerque, New Mexico, Federal Land Conveyance Act of 2013
- S. 611 (113th): Sandia Pueblo Settlement Technical Amendment Act
- S. 923 (113th): Balancing Food, Farm, and the Environment Act of 2013
- S. 1974 (112th): Ultralight Aircraft Smuggling Prevention Act of 2011
- S. 1798 (112th): Open Burn Pit Registry Act of 2011
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Udall sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Udall’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 890: A bill to grant the Congressional Gold Medal to the troops who defended ...
- S. 903: A bill to amend the Caregivers and Veterans Omnibus Health Services Act of ...
- S.Res. 125: A resolution supporting the goals and ideals of National Public Health Week.
- S. 747: Special Diabetes Program for Indians Reauthorization Act of 2017
- S. 721: MAR-A-LAGO Act
- S. 661: CREATE Act of 2017
- S. 607: Native American Business Incubators Program Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Udall’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
H.R. 1424 (110th): Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
Oct 3, 2008. Passed 263/171.
This is the Senate's October 2008 Economic Stimulus Relief Bill. This bill was originally introduced in March 2007 and passed the House as the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008. In October 2008, it was co-opted as the so-called "vehicle" to pass the relief bill ...
H.Con.Res. 440 (110th): Providing for an adjournment or recess of the two Houses.
Sep 29, 2008. Passed 213/211.
H.R. 2638 (110th): Consolidated Security, Disaster Assistance, and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2009
Sep 24, 2008. Passed 370/58.
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
H.R. 5349 (110th): To extend the Protect America Act of 2007 for 21 days.
Feb 13, 2008. Failed 191/229.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 2009 to Apr 2017, Udall missed 26 of 2,452 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is on par with the median of 1.3% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 18 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: