Read our 2018 Report Card for Udall.
Udall is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Udall has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Apr 11, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Tom Udall sits on the following committees:
- Vice Chair, Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Department of the Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of Defense
- Member, Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development
- Member, Subcommittee on Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
- Joint Committee on Printing
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Member, Subcommittee on Aviation and Space
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Manufacturing, Trade, and Consumer Protection
- Member, Subcommittee on Transportation and Safety
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- Member, Subcommittee on Africa and Global Health Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Multilateral International Development, Multilateral Institutions, and International Economic, Energy, and Environmental Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on State Department and USAID Management, International Operations, and Bilateral International Development
- Member, Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere, Transnational Crime, Civilian Security, Democracy, Human Rights, and Global Women's Issues
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration
Udall was the primary sponsor of 20 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 2926 (114th): Science Prize Competitions Act of 2016
- S. 2508 (114th): Youth Sports Concussion Act
- S. 986 (114th): Albuquerque Indian School Land Transfer Act
- S. 501 (114th): New Mexico Navajo Water Settlement Technical Corrections Act
- S. 898 (113th): Albuquerque, New Mexico, Federal Land Conveyance Act of 2013
- S. 611 (113th): Sandia Pueblo Settlement Technical Amendment Act
- S. 1974 (112th): Ultralight Aircraft Smuggling Prevention Act of 2011
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Udall sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Native Americans (24%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (15%) Health (13%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Environmental Protection (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Commerce (8%) Education (8%)
Some of Udall’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 1180: A bill to extend the full Federal medical assistance percentage to urban Indian ...
- S. 1119: A bill to amend the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act to ...
- S. 1079: Chaco Cultural Heritage Area Protection Act of 2019
- S. 1093: Defenders of Bataan and Corregidor Congressional Gold Medal Act
- S. 1039: Prevention of Unconstitutional War with Iran Act of 2019
- S. 949: For the People Act of 2019
- S. 921: Protect Children, Farmers, and Farmworkers from Nerve Agent Pesticides Act of 2019
|Udall’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 31: Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2019
Feb 14, 2019. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
This bill, in its final form, funded the parts of the federal government whose funding was to lapse on February 15, 2019. On December 22, 2018 the 115th Congress was unable to reach a deal to fund some federal agencies through fiscal year 2019 after ...
S. 1: Strengthening America’s Security in the Middle East Act of 2019
Feb 5, 2019. Bill Passed 77/23.
What was the first legislation that Senate Republicans introduced this year? #### Context The very first bill introduced by a majority party in Congress sends an important message about what their legislative priorities are. In the previous Congress, House Republicans’ first bill was the Tax ...
H.R. 1892: Further Extension of Continuing Appropriations Act, 2018; Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2018, the SUSTAIN Care Act of 2018; Family First Prevention Services Act.; Honoring Hometown ...
Feb 9, 2018. Motion Agreed to 71/28.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of funding for the federal government through March 23, 2018, to avert a government shutdown that would have occurred on February 9, 2018 had this bill not been enacted. The bill was introduced as the Honoring Hometown Heroes ...
H.J.Res. 43: Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule submitted by Secretary of Health and Human Services relating ...
Mar 30, 2017. Joint Resolution Passed 51/50.
Joe Biden never got the opportunity to break a single 50-50 Senate tie in eight years as vice president. Mike Pence has already broken two. One from last month has since become law: a measure allowing states to withhold federal Planned Parenthood funding. (The other ...
On the Nomination PN41: Daniel Coats, of Indiana, to be Director of National Intelligence
Mar 15, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 85/12.
On the Nomination PN40: John F. Kelly, of Virginia, to be Secretary of Homeland Security
Jan 20, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 88/11.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
H.R. 1424 (110th): Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
Oct 3, 2008. Passed 263/171.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of economic stimulus relief during the 2008 financial crisis as well as other unrelated provisions. It was the Senate's October 2008 plan, and it became law. The bill contains sections for: * Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 ...
H.R. 5349 (110th): To extend the Protect America Act of 2007 for 21 days.
Feb 13, 2008. Failed 191/229.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 2009 to Apr 2019, Udall missed 33 of 3,017 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is on par with the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: