Kelly is the representative for Mississippi’s 1st congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jun 9, 2015. Kelly is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Kelly.
Kelly is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Kelly has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 17, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Trent Kelly sits on the following committees:
Kelly was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1615 (116th): Verification Alignment and Service-disabled Business Adjustment Act
- H.R. 5309 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 401 McElroy Drive in Oxford, Mississippi, as the “Army First Lieutenant Donald C. Carwile Post ...
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Kelly sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Kelly’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 415: Reaffirming United States-Uzbekistan relations.
- H.R. 1913: Uzbekistan Normalized Trade Act
- H.R. 1695: TRICARE Reserve Select Improvement Act
- H.R. 1302: Gold Star Altitude Act
- H.R. 307: To amend title 38, United States Code, to direct the Secretary of Veterans ...
- H.R. 208: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 500 ...
- H.R. 209: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 305 ...
From Jun 2015 to Jun 2021, Kelly missed 63 of 3,353 roll call votes, which is 1.9%. This is on par with the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: