Demings is a potential running mate for 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden. We compared the legislative records of the potential running mates who served in Congress.
Read our 2019 Report Card for Demings.
Demings is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Demings has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jun 1, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Val Demings sits on the following committees:
Demings was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 6591 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 501 South Kirkman Road in Orlando, Florida, as the “Napoleon ‘Nap’ Ford Post Office Building”.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Demings sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Demings’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6656: Coronavirus Workers’ Compensation for TSA Employees Act
- H.R. 5227: Technology in Criminal Justice Act of 2019
- H.R. 5062: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 9930 ...
- H.R. 4789: To allow Federal law enforcement officers to purchase retired service weapons, and for ...
- H.Res. 549: Reaffirming the commitment to media diversity and pledging to work with media entities ...
- H.R. 2383: Secure Communities and Safe Schools Act
- H.R. 1404: Vladimir Putin Transparency Act
From Jan 2017 to May 2020, Demings missed 20 of 2,026 roll call votes, which is 1.0%. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: