Demings is the representative for Florida’s 10th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2017. Demings is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Demings is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Demings has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 21, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Demings was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5062 (116th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 9930 Conroy Windermere Road in Windermere, Florida, as the “Officer Robert German Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 6591 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 501 South Kirkman Road in Orlando, Florida, as the “Napoleon ‘Nap’ Ford Post Office Building”.
Does 2 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Demings sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Demings’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8168 (116th): Science in Blood Donation Act of 2020
- H.R. 8142 (116th): Federal Disaster Housing Stability Act of 2020
- H.R. 8101 (116th): Every American Has the Right To Vote Act
- H.R. 6656 (116th): Coronavirus Workers’ Compensation for TSA Employees Act
- H.R. 5227 (116th): Technology in Criminal Justice Act of 2019
- H.R. 5062 (116th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 4789 (116th): To allow Federal law enforcement officers to purchase retired service weapons, and ...
From Jan 2017 to Jan 2021, Demings missed 21 of 2,182 roll call votes, which is 1.0%. This is better than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: