Read our 2017 Report Card for Demings.
Demings is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Demings has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Val Demings sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Homeland Security
House Committee on the Judiciary
- Member, Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations
- Member, Subcommittee on Regulatory Reform, Commercial and Antitrust Law
Demings sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Demings’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5910: Defend Against Russian Disinformation and Aggression Act
- H.Res. 888: Reaffirming support for increased media diversity, expressing support for the recognition of the ...
- H.R. 5257: Secure Communities and Safe Schools Act
- H.R. 4762: To require the United States Postal Service to designate a single, unique ZIP ...
- H.R. 4611: Disaster Response Workforce Flexibility Act of 2017
- H.Res. 380: Commemorating one year since the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, Florida, on June ...
- H.R. 2427: Pathways to Improving Homeland Security At the Local Level Act
|Demings’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5788: Securing the International Mail Against Opioids Act of 2018
Jun 14, 2018. Passed 353/52.
The substitute to H.R. 5788 to be considered by the House would require the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) to transmit advance electronic data (AED) to Customs and Border Protection (CBP) on at least 70 percent of international packages by December 31, 2018, and 100 percent ...
H.R. 772: Common Sense Nutrition Disclosure Act of 2017
Feb 6, 2018. Passed 266/157.
H.R. 772 amends the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act to clarify the information certain retail food chain establishments, with 20 or more locations, must disclose about nutrition to the consumer to prevent overly burdensome regulations for certain establishments, such as convenience stores, supermarkets, grocery ...
H.R. 4667: Making further supplemental appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2018, for disaster assistance for Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria, and calendar year 2017 wildfires, ...
Dec 21, 2017. Passed 251/169.
H.R. 1039: Probation Officer Protection Act of 2017
May 19, 2017. Passed 229/177.
H.R. 1039 amends the federal criminal code to authorize a probation officer to arrest a person, without warrant, if there is probable cause to believe that person forcibly assaulted or obstructed a probation officer while performing their official duties. The bill also would direct the ...
H.R. 1343: Encouraging Employee Ownership Act of 2017
Apr 4, 2017. Passed 331/87.
In 1988, the SEC adopted Rule 701 under the Securities Act to allow private companies to sell securities to their employees without the need to file a registration statement with the SEC. The rule provides an exemption from the registration requirements for offers and sales ...
From Jan 2017 to Jun 2018, Demings missed 16 of 981 roll call votes, which is 1.6%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: