Ehlers was the representative for Michigan’s 3rd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1993 to 2010.
Ehlers is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Ehlers sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ehlers was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6460 (110th): Great Lakes Legacy Reauthorization Act of 2008
- H.R. 5479 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 117 North Kidd Street in Ionia, Michigan, as the “Alonzo Woodruff Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 758 (109th): To establish an interagency aerospace revitalization task force to develop a national strategy for aerospace workforce recruitment, training, and cultivation.
- H.R. 1070 (107th): Great Lakes and Lake Champlain Act of 2002
- H.R. 1860 (107th): Small Business Technology Transfer Program Reauthorization Act of 2001
- H.R. 2346 (106th): To authorize the enforcement by State and local governments of certain Federal Communications Commission regulations regarding use of citizens band radio equipment.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Ehlers sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Science, Technology, Communications (22%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Education (16%) Economics and Public Finance (12%) Law (10%) Environmental Protection (8%) Transportation and Public Works (8%) Commerce (7%)
Some of Ehlers’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1560 (111th): Supporting the increased understanding of, and interest in, computer science and computing ...
- H.Con.Res. 292 (111th): Supporting the goals and ideals of National Aerospace Week, and for other ...
- H.Con.Res. 272 (111th): Recognizing the many contributions made by general aviation pilots and operators to ...
- H.Res. 1310 (111th): Recognizing the 50th anniversary of the laser.
- H.Res. 1222 (111th): Supporting the goals and ideals of National Library Week.
- H.R. 4891 (111th): Drunk Driving Repeat Offender Prevention Act of 2010
- H.R. 4890 (111th): Research of Alcohol Detection Systems for Stopping Alcohol-Related Fatalities Everywhere Act of ...
|Ehlers’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Con.Res. 308 (111th): Providing for a conditional adjournment of the House of Representatives.
Jul 29, 2010. Passed 231/189.
H.Res. 317 (111th): Recognizing the region from Manhattan, Kansas, to Columbia, Missouri, as the Kansas City Animal Health Corridor, and ...
Sep 15, 2009. Passed 312/108.
H.Res. 1525 (110th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendments to the bill (H.R. 1424) to amend section 712 of ...
Oct 3, 2008. Passed 223/205.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1994 to Dec 2010, Ehlers missed 254 of 11,209 roll call votes, which is 2.3%. This is better than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: