Our unique analysis of the bills Fazio sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1998. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Fazio is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Fazio was the primary sponsor of 23 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 3908 (104th): Comprehensive Methamphetamine Control Act of 1996
- H.R. 4454 (103rd): Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 1995
- H.R. 2348 (103rd): Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 1994
- H.J.Res. 489 (102nd): Designating February 21, 1993, through February 27, 1993, as “American Wine Appreciation Week”, and for other purposes.
- H.J.Res. 543 (102nd): Designating November 30, 1992, through December 6, 1992, as “National Education First Week”.
- H.R. 5427 (102nd): Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 1993
- H.R. 2506 (102nd): Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 1992
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Fazio sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (33%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Health (11%) Environmental Protection (11%) Science, Technology, Communications (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (9%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (9%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (7%)
Some of Fazio’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4659 (105th): Keep Kids Safe at School’s Act
- H.Res. 530 (105th): Designating minority membership on certain standing committees of the House.
- H.R. 4223 (105th): Colusa Basin Watershed Integrated Resources Management Act
- H.Res. 492 (105th): Designating minority membership on certain standing committees of the House.
- H.Res. 434 (105th): Designating minority membership on certain standing committees of the House.
- H.Res. 412 (105th): Designating minority membership on certain standing committees of the House.
- H.Res. 400 (105th): Designating minority membership on certain standing committees of the House.
From Jan 1979 to Dec 1998, Fazio missed 408 of 10,308 roll call votes, which is 4.0%. This is worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1998. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills