Read our 2017 Report Card for Foxx.
Foxx is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Foxx has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Virginia Foxx sits on the following committees:
- Chair, House Committee on Education and the Workforce
- House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
Foxx was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.J.Res. 37: Disapproving the rule submitted by the Department of Defense, the General Services Administration, and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration relating to the Federal Acquisition Regulation.
- H.R. 5134 (113th): To extend the National Advisory Committee on Institutional Quality and Integrity and the Advisory Committee on Student Financial Assistance for one year.
- H.R. 803 (113th): Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act
- H.R. 1121 (111th): Blue Ridge Parkway and Town of Blowing Rock Land Exchange Act of 2009
- H.R. 6073 (110th): To provide that Federal employees receiving their pay by electronic funds transfer shall be given the option of receiving their pay stubs electronically.
- H.R. 1499 (109th): Heroes Earned Retirement Opportunities Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Foxx sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (26%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Taxation (13%) Energy (9%) Labor and Employment (9%) International Affairs (9%) Economics and Public Finance (9%) Science, Technology, Communications (9%)
Some of Foxx’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 835: Supporting robust relations with the State of Israel bilaterally and in multilateral fora ...
- H.R. 4887: GREAT Act
- H.Res. 710: Electing a Member to a certain standing committee of the House of Representatives.
- H.Res. 685: Electing Members to certain standing committees of the House of Representatives.
- H.R. 4508: PROSPER Act
- H.R. 4265: Sugar Policy Modernization Act of 2017
- H.R. 3851: War Crimes Rewards Expansion Act
|Foxx’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4667: Making further supplemental appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2018, for disaster assistance for Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria, and calendar year 2017 wildfires, ...
Dec 21, 2017. Passed 251/169.
H.R. 985: Concrete Masonry Products Research, Education, and Promotion Act of 2015
Nov 14, 2016. Passed 355/38.
H.R. 4889: Kelsey Smith Act
May 23, 2016. Failed 229/158.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
S. 1603 (113th): Gun Lake Trust Land Reaffirmation Act
Sep 16, 2014. Passed 359/64.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 2638 (110th): Consolidated Security, Disaster Assistance, and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2009
Sep 24, 2008. Passed 370/58.
From Jan 2005 to Apr 2018, Foxx missed 49 of 9,737 roll call votes, which is 0.5%. This is better than the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: