Rep. Virginia Smith
Former Representative from Nebraska's 3rd District
|Dates||Title / State / District|
Nebraska's 3rd District
See Also: Bioguide
Smith was a rank-and-file Republican according to GovTrack's own analysis of bill sponsorship from Smith’s time serving in the House of Representatives. Smith’s bills had a total of 153 cosponsors in the 101st Congress.
Use this chart to compare Smith to other members of the House of Representatives in the 101st Congress on leadership and ideology.
This chart is based on principal components analysis for ideology and PageRank for leadership. See analysis methodology.
Some of Smith’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5745 (101st): For the relief of Nebraska Aluminum Castings, Inc.
- H.R. 4218 (101st): Environmental Reserve Program Act of 1990
- H.R. 2923 (101st): To amend the Internal Revenue Code to extend the one year deferment ...
- H.R. 2903 (101st): To amend the Solid Waste Disposal Act to set a lower financial ...
- H.R. 2736 (101st): Platte River Preservation Act
- H.R. 2735 (101st): Rural Electrification Amendment Act of 1989
- H.R. 2438 (101st): To authorize amendments to a certain water service contract for the Frenchman ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1975 to Oct 1990, Smith missed 278 of 8,500 roll call votes, which is 3.3%. This is better than the median of 4.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1990. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Elligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- THOMAS, for sponsored bills