Read our 2017 Report Card for Jones.
Jones is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Jones has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Walter Jones Jr. sits on the following committees:
Jones was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1642 (114th): To designate the building utilized as a United States courthouse located at 150 Reade Circle in Greenville, North Carolina, as the “Randy D. Doub United States Courthouse”.
- H.R. 5094 (109th): Lake Mattamuskeet Lodge Preservation Act
- H.R. 126 (109th): To amend Public Law 89-366 to allow for an adjustment in the number of free roaming horses permitted in Cape Lookout National Seashore.
- H.R. 2326 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 614 West Old County Road in Belhaven, North Carolina, as the “Floyd Lupton Post Office”.
- H.R. 4435 (106th): To clarify certain boundaries on the map relating to Unit NC01 of the Coastal Barrier Resources System.
- H.R. 765 (105th): Shackleford Banks Wild Horses Protection Act
- H.R. 3680 (104th): War Crimes Act of 1996
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Jones sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (40%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (11%) International Affairs (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (10%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (10%)
Some of Jones’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4692: To revise the boundaries of a John H. Chafee Coastal Barrier Resources System ...
- H.Res. 663: Urging the release of information regarding the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks upon ...
- H.Res. 643: Amending the Rules of the House of Representatives to observe a moment of ...
- H.Res. 564: Affirming the constitutional power of Congress over the Nation’s debts.
- H.Res. 556: Urging the President of the United States to allow for the full public ...
- H.Res. 557: Commending the National Archives and Records Administration and its staff for working to ...
- H.R. 3676: Sanctity of Life Act of 2017
|Jones’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1892: Further Extension of Continuing Appropriations Act, 2018; Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2018; SUSTAIN Care Act of 2018; Honoring Hometown Heroes Act
Feb 9, 2018. Passed 240/186.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of funding for the federal government through March 23, 2018, to avert a government shutdown that would have occurred on February 9, 2018 had this bill not been enacted. The bill was introduced as the Honoring Hometown Heroes ...
H.R. 4667: Making further supplemental appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2018, for disaster assistance for Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria, and calendar year 2017 wildfires, ...
Dec 21, 2017. Passed 251/169.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
S. 1603 (113th): Gun Lake Trust Land Reaffirmation Act
Sep 16, 2014. Passed 359/64.
H.R. 5972 (112th): Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013
Jun 29, 2012. Passed 261/163.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 1995 to Apr 2018, Jones missed 639 of 15,695 roll call votes, which is 4.1%. This is worse than the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: