Read our 2016 Report Card for Jones.
Our unique analysis of the bills Jones has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Jones is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Walter Jones Jr. sits on the following committees:
Jones was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1642 (114th): To designate the building utilized as a United States courthouse located at 150 Reade Circle in Greenville, North Carolina, as the “Randy D. Doub United States Courthouse”.
- H.R. 5094 (109th): Lake Mattamuskeet Lodge Preservation Act
- H.R. 126 (109th): To amend Public Law 89-366 to allow for an adjustment in the number of free roaming horses permitted in Cape Lookout National Seashore.
- H.R. 2326 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 614 West Old County Road in Belhaven, North Carolina, as the “Floyd Lupton Post Office”.
- H.R. 4435 (106th): To clarify certain boundaries on the map relating to Unit NC01 of the Coastal Barrier Resources System.
- H.R. 765 (105th): Shackleford Banks Wild Horses Protection Act
- H.R. 3680 (104th): War Crimes Act of 1996
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Jones sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (42%) International Affairs (12%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (11%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (9%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (9%)
Some of Jones’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3011: To amend title 10, United States Code, to provide for forgiveness of certain ...
- H.R. 2850: Military Patron Protection Act of 2017
- H.R. 2458: Jamiel Shaw, II Memorial Act of 2017
- H.R. 2032: Corolla Wild Horses Protection Act
- H.R. 1855: To repeal the authorizations for office space, office expenses, franking and printing privileges, ...
- H.Con.Res. 41: Commemorating the 100th anniversary of the United States declaration of war against Germany ...
- H.R. 1666: To prohibit the availability of funds for activities in the Islamic Republic of ...
|Jones’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 863: To facilitate the addition of park administration at the Coltsville National Historical Park, and for other purposes.
Feb 27, 2017. Passed 369/42.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Passed 342/85.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
S. 1603 (113th): Gun Lake Trust Land Reaffirmation Act
Sep 16, 2014. Passed 359/64.
H.R. 5972 (112th): Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013
Jun 29, 2012. Passed 261/163.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 1995 to Jun 2017, Jones missed 578 of 15,160 roll call votes, which is 3.8%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 32 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: