Our unique analysis of the bills Jones sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Jones is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Jones was the primary sponsor of 19 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 1006 (102nd): Federal Maritime Commission Authorization Act of 1991
- H.R. 5497 (101st): To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to acquire certain lands to be added to the Fort Raleigh National Historic Site and the Alligator River National Wildlife ...
- H.R. 4009 (101st): Federal Maritime Commission Authorization Act of 1990
- H.R. 1465 (101st): Oil Pollution Act of 1990
- H.R. 1486 (101st): To authorize appropriations for fiscal year 1990 for the Maritime Administration and for other purposes.
- H.R. 840 (101st): To authorize appropriations for fiscal year 1990 for the Federal Maritime Commission.
- H.R. 3105 (100th): A bill to revise, consolidate and enact certain laws related to maritime commercial instruments and liens and public vessels and goods as chapters 313 and 315 of ...
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Jones sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (31%) Environmental Protection (27%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (10%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (7%) Armed Forces and National Security (5%) Private Legislation (5%) Emergency Management (4%)
Some of Jones’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 548 (102nd): To provide for the consideration of the Senate amendment to H.R. 2152.
- H.R. 5627 (102nd): To amend the Merchant Marine Act, 1936, as amended, to establish a ...
- H.R. 5564 (102nd): To amend the Shipping Act of 1984 to prohibit controlled carriers from ...
- H.R. 5459 (102nd): Antarctic Environmental Protection Protocol Act of 1992
- H.R. 5358 (102nd): To authorize issuance of a certificate of documentation for employment in the ...
- H.R. 5133 (102nd): To authorize the project for navigation at Morehead City Harbor, North Carolina.
- H.R. 4998 (102nd): To suspend until January 1, 1995, the duty on certain textile spinning ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Feb 1966 to Sep 1992, Jones missed 1,608 of 12,207 roll call votes, which is 13.2%. This is much worse than the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Sep 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills