Mondale was Vice President of the United States (and President of the Senate) and was a Democratic. He served from 1977 to 1981.
He was previously a senator from Minnesota as a Democrat from 1964 to 1976.
Mondale is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 1976 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Mondale sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Mondale was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- S. 3485 (94th): A bill for the relief of Orlando Garzon.
- S. 223 (94th): An Act for the relief of Angela Garza and her son Manuel Aguilar (aka Manuel Garza).
- S. 1725 (94th): A bill to establish the Chickwaw National Recreation Area in the State of Oklahoma, and for other purposes.
- S. 1745 (93rd): An Act to provide financial assistance for research activities for the study of sudden infant death syndrome, and for other purposes.
- S. 1191 (93rd): Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act
- S. 2700 (93rd): A bill to postpone the implementation of the Headstart fee schedule.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Mondale sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Mondale’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3703 (94th): A bill for the relief of Dae Sung Ra.
- S. 3643 (94th): A bill to amend the Consolidated Farm and Rural Development Act and ...
- S. 3564 (94th): A bill to provide emergency assistance to livestock producers.
- S. 3506 (94th): A bill to authorize the construction of a lock and dam project ...
- S. 3503 (94th): Aircraft Noise Reduction and Airport Protection Act
- S. 3487 (94th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to provide ...
- S. 3484 (94th): A bill for the relief of Peter Poon On Wong.
From Jan 1965 to Oct 1976, Mondale missed 876 of 5,163 roll call votes, which is 17.0%. This is worse than the median of 13.0% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1976. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills