Gilchrest was the representative for Maryland’s 1st congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1991 to 2008.
Gilchrest is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Gilchrest sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 2003 to Dec 10, 2008. See full analysis methodology.
Gilchrest was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 3378 (108th): Marine Turtle Conservation Act of 2004
- H.R. 274 (108th): Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge Expansion Act
- H.R. 273 (108th): Nutria Eradication and Control Act of 2003
- H.R. 3389 (107th): National Sea Grant College Program Act Amendments of 2002
- H.R. 643 (107th): African Elephant Conservation Reauthorization Act of 2001
- H.R. 645 (107th): Rhinoceros and Tiger Conservation Reauthorization Act of 2001
- H.R. 791 (106th): Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail Study Act of 1999
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Gilchrest sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (18%) Economics and Public Finance (15%) Animals (13%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (13%) Environmental Protection (12%) International Affairs (10%) Science, Technology, Communications (10%) Law (8%)
Some of Gilchrest’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Con.Res. 321 (110th): Expressing the need for a more comprehensive diplomatic initiative led by the ...
- H.Con.Res. 288 (110th): Expressing the need for a more comprehensive diplomatic initiative led by the ...
- H.Con.Res. 274 (110th): Expressing the need for a more comprehensive diplomatic initiative led by the ...
- H.R. 4226 (110th): Climate Stewardship and Economic Security Act of 2007
- H.R. 3841 (110th): To prohibit the commercial harvesting of Atlantic menhaden for reduction purposes in ...
- H.R. 3166 (110th): To reauthorize the Nutria Eradication and Control Act of 2003.
- H.Con.Res. 153 (110th): Expressing the sense of the Congress regarding the need for a nationwide ...
|Gilchrest’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 6578 (110th): Consumer Energy Supply Act of 2008
Jul 24, 2008. Failed 268/157.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 3246 (110th): Regional Economic and Infrastructure Development Act of 2007
Oct 4, 2007. Passed 264/154.
H.R. 2419 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
Jul 27, 2007. Passed 231/191.
The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (Pub.L. 110–234, H.R. 2419, 122 Stat. 923, enacted May 22, 2008, also known as the 2008 U.S. Farm Bill) was a $288 billion, five-year agricultural policy bill that was passed into law by the United States Congress ...
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1991 to Dec 2008, Gilchrest missed 540 of 11,102 roll call votes, which is 4.9%. This is worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: