Our unique analysis of the bills Gilchrest sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Gilchrest is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Gilchrest was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 3378 (108th): Marine Turtle Conservation Act of 2004
- H.R. 274 (108th): Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge Expansion Act
- H.R. 273 (108th): Nutria Eradication and Control Act of 2003
- H.R. 3389 (107th): National Sea Grant College Program Act Amendments of 2002
- H.R. 643 (107th): African Elephant Conservation Reauthorization Act of 2001
- H.R. 645 (107th): Rhinoceros and Tiger Conservation Reauthorization Act of 2001
- H.R. 791 (106th): Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail Study Act of 1999
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Gilchrest sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (18%) Economics and Public Finance (15%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (13%) Animals (13%) Environmental Protection (12%) International Affairs (10%) Science, Technology, Communications (10%) Law (8%)
Some of Gilchrest’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Con.Res. 321 (110th): Expressing the need for a more comprehensive diplomatic initiative led by the ...
- H.Con.Res. 288 (110th): Expressing the need for a more comprehensive diplomatic initiative led by the ...
- H.Con.Res. 274 (110th): Expressing the need for a more comprehensive diplomatic initiative led by the ...
- H.R. 4226 (110th): Climate Stewardship and Economic Security Act of 2007
- H.R. 3841 (110th): To prohibit the commercial harvesting of Atlantic menhaden for reduction purposes in ...
- H.R. 3166 (110th): To reauthorize the Nutria Eradication and Control Act of 2003.
- H.Con.Res. 153 (110th): Expressing the sense of the Congress regarding the need for a nationwide ...
|Gilchrest’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 6578 (110th): Consumer Energy Supply Act of 2008
Jul 24, 2008. Failed 268/157.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 3246 (110th): Regional Economic and Infrastructure Development Act of 2007
Oct 4, 2007. Passed 264/154.
H.R. 2419 (110th): Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008
Jul 27, 2007. Passed 231/191.
The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (Pub.L. 110–234, H.R. 2419, 122 Stat. 923, enacted May 22, 2008, also known as the 2008 U.S. Farm Bill) was a $288 billion, five-year agricultural policy bill that was passed into law by the United States Congress ...
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1991 to Dec 2008, Gilchrest missed 540 of 11,102 roll call votes, which is 4.9%. This is worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2008. ProPublica has tracked 2 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: