Cooley was the representative for Oregon’s 2nd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1995 to 1996.
Cooley faced an allegation of lying to voters about his military service in official state voter guides. On Mar. 19, 1997, he was convicted, ordered to pay a fine, and placed on two years' probation. On Aug. 7, 1996, he did not run for re-election.
|Mar. 19, 1997||Convicted, ordered to pay a fine, and placed on two years' probation.|
|Aug. 7, 1996||Did not run for re-election.|
Cooley is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1996 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cooley sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Cooley was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1290 (104th): To reinstate the permit for, and extend the deadline under the Federal Power Act applicable to the construction of, a hydroelectric project in Oregon, and for other ...
- H.R. 2061 (104th): To designate the Federal building located at 1550 Dewey Avenue, Baker City, Oregon as the “David J. Wheeler Federal Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cooley sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (19%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Law (15%) Water Resources Development (13%) Energy (11%) Environmental Protection (11%) Agriculture and Food (9%) Animals (6%)
Some of Cooley’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4294 (104th): To prohibit further extension or establishment of any national monument in Oregon ...
- H.R. 3875 (104th): To redesignate the dam located at mile 153.6 on the Rogue River ...
- H.R. 3377 (104th): Rural Right-of-Way Fairness Act
- H.R. 3290 (104th): To authorize appropriations for the Bureau of Land Management for each of ...
- H.R. 2693 (104th): To require the Secretary of Agriculture to make a minor adjustment in ...
- H.R. 2568 (104th): To require adoption of a management plan for the Hells Canyon National ...
- H.R. 2392 (104th): Umatilla Basin Project Completion Act
From Jan 1995 to Sep 1996, Cooley missed 9 of 1,340 roll call votes, which is 0.7%. This is better than the median of 2.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Sep 1996. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills