Daniel was the representative for Virginia’s 5th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1969 to 1988.
Alleged misconduct & resolution
In 1986, the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct investigated Daniel for accepting free flights on corporate aircraft (1983-85) and on Feb. 5, 1986 Daniel made restitution and amended the financial disclosure statement.
|Feb. 5, 1986||House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct Daniel made restitution and amended the financial disclosure statement|
Daniel is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1988 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Daniel sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Daniel was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.J.Res. 373 (99th): A joint resolution designating Patrick Henry’s last home and burial place, known as Red Hill, in the Commonwealth of Virginia, as a National Memorial to Patrick Henry.
- H.R. 5580 (96th): North Atlantic Treaty Organization Mutual Support Act of 1979
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Daniel sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Daniel’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3140 (100th): A bill to require the Secretary of Defense to establish standards, based ...
- H.R. 2948 (100th): A bill to prohibit the Department of Defense from purchasing any product ...
- H.R. 2495 (100th): A bill to direct the Secretary of the Interior to purchase certain ...
- H.R. 1324 (100th): Nuclear Waste Policy Act Amendments of 1986
- H.R. 443 (100th): A bill for the relief of Fred J. Villegas.
- H.R. 5109 (99th): National Special Operations Agency Act
- H.R. 4577 (99th): A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to provide that ...
From Jan 1969 to Dec 1987, Daniel missed 413 of 9,355 roll call votes, which is 4.4%. This is on par with the median of 5.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1987. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills