Read our 2017 Report Card for Hurd.
Hurd is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hurd has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Will Hurd sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
- Chair, Subcommittee on Information Technology
- House Committee on Homeland Security
House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of Defense Intelligence and Overhead Architecture
- Member, Subcommittee on Emerging Threats
Hurd was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4902 (114th): To amend title 5, United States Code, to expand law enforcement availability pay to employees of U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s Air and Marine Operations.
- H.R. 5252 (114th): To designate the United States Customs and Border Protection Port of Entry located at 1400 Lower Island Road in Tornillo, Texas, as the “Marcelino Serna Port of ...
- H.R. 1626 (114th): DHS IT Duplication Reduction Act of 2015
- H.R. 2252 (114th): To clarify the effective date of certain provisions of the Border Patrol Agent Pay Reform Act of 2014, and for other purposes.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hurd sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Hurd’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6901: Federal CIO Authorization Act of 2018
- H.Res. 939: Providing for the consideration of H.R. 4796.
- H.R. 5896: Border Patrol Agent Pay Reform Amendments Act of 2018
- H.R. 5481: GEAR UP for Success Act of 2018
- H.R. 4796: USA Act of 2018
- H.R. 3479: Secure Miles with All Resources and Technology Act
- H.R. 2627: Enhancing Overseas Traveler Vetting Act
|Hurd’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 3: Spending Cuts to Expired and Unnecessary Programs Act
Jun 7, 2018. Passed 210/206.
H.R. 8 rescinds nearly $15 billion of unobligated balances from previously appropriated funding. Specifically, the bill includes 34 rescissions totaling $14.835 billion and affects programs at the Departments of Agriculture, Commerce, Energy, Health and Human Services, Justice, Labor, State, Transportation, Treasury, and the Railroad Retirement ...
H.R. 1628: American Health Care Act of 2017
May 4, 2017. Passed 217/213.
The American Health Care Act of 2017 (AHCA) was a leading proposal in the first half of 2017 by House Republicans to "repeal and replace" the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare, but we'll abbreviate it ACA) and "defund" Planned Parenthood. It was also the vehicle ...
H.J.Res. 43: Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule submitted by Secretary of Health and Human Services relating ...
Feb 16, 2017. Passed 230/188.
Joe Biden never got the opportunity to break a single 50-50 Senate tie in eight years as vice president. Mike Pence has already broken two. One from last month has since become law: a measure allowing states to withhold federal Planned Parenthood funding. (The other ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 749: Passenger Rail Reform and Investment Act of 2015
Mar 4, 2015. Passed 316/101.
From Jan 2015 to Nov 2018, Hurd missed 27 of 2,455 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: