Our unique analysis of the bills Clinger sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1996. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Clinger is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Clinger was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3568 (104th): To designate 51.7 miles of the Clarion River, located in Pennsylvania, as a component of the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System.
- H.R. 830 (104th): Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995
- H.R. 3386 (101st): Sanitary Food Transportation Act of 1990
- H.R. 3085 (100th): A bill to amend the Water Resources Development Act of 1986 relating to the level of flood protection provided by the flood control project for Lock Haven, ...
- H.R. 5076 (98th): Pennsylvania Wilderness Act of 1984
- H.R. 2889 (98th): An act to amend the National Historic Preservation Act, and for other purposes.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Clinger sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (32%) Economics and Public Finance (15%) Labor and Employment (13%) Law (11%) Environmental Protection (9%) Commerce (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (7%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (7%)
Some of Clinger’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 534 (104th): Recognizing and honoring the crew members of the U.S.S. Pittsburgh for their ...
- H.R. 3596 (104th): Oil Region National Heritage Area Act
- H.R. 3568 (104th): To designate 51.7 miles of the Clarion River, located in Pennsylvania, as ...
- H.R. 3450 (104th): To provide for modification of the State agreement under title II of ...
- H.R. 3078 (104th): Federal Agency Anti-Lobbying Act
- H.Res. 369 (104th): To provide to the Committee on Government Reform and Oversight special authorities ...
- H.R. 2937 (104th): For the reimbursement of legal expenses and related fees incurred by former ...
From Jan 1979 to Sep 1996, Clinger missed 355 of 9,121 roll call votes, which is 3.9%. This is on par with the median of 2.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Sep 1996. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills