Delahunt was the representative for Massachusetts’s 10th congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1997 to 2010.
Delahunt is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Delahunt sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Delahunt was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2802 (111th): To provide for an extension of the legislative authority of the Adams Memorial Foundation to establish a commemorative work in honor of former President John Adams and ...
- H.R. 2935 (111th): Travel Promotion Act of 2009
- H.R. 2253 (111th): Financial Markets Commission Act of 2009
- H.R. 1777 (110th): Need-Based Educational Aid Act of 2008
- H.R. 2411 (105th): To provide for a land exchange involving the Cape Cod National Seashore and to extend the authority for the Cape Cod National Seashore Advisory Commission.
- H.R. 2732 (105th): For the relief of John Andre Chalot.
- H.R. 2731 (105th): For the relief of Roy Desmond Moser.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Delahunt sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (21%) International Affairs (18%) Commerce (12%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (12%) Law (12%) Crime and Law Enforcement (10%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (7%) Transportation and Public Works (7%)
Some of Delahunt’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6153 (111th): Foreign Prison Conditions Improvement Act of 2010
- H.R. 5660 (111th): Main Street Fairness Act
- H.R. 5349 (111th): Cambodian Trade Act of 2010
- H.R. 5143 (111th): National Criminal Justice Commission Act of 2010
- H.R. 5034 (111th): Comprehensive Alcohol Regulatory Effectiveness (CARE) Act of 2010
- H.R. 4594 (111th): International Violence Against Women Act of 2010
- H.R. 4091 (111th): Enhanced Restitution Enforcement and Equitable Retirement Treatment Act of 2009
|Delahunt’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.R. 31 (111th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 3, 2009. Passed 240/179.
H.J.Res. 3 (111th): Relating to the disapproval of obligations under the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008.
Jan 22, 2009. Passed 270/155.
H.R. 1424 (110th): Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
Oct 3, 2008. Passed 263/171.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of economic stimulus relief during the 2008 financial crisis as well as other unrelated provisions. It was the Senate's October 2008 plan, and it became law. The bill contains sections for: * Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 ...
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1997 to Dec 2010, Delahunt missed 799 of 9,363 roll call votes, which is 8.5%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: