Dickinson was the representative for Alabama’s 2nd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1965 to 1992.
Dickinson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Dickinson sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 1987 to Oct 9, 1992. See full analysis methodology.
Dickinson was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1781 (96th): A bill to amend title 5, United States Code, to provide that civilian air traffic controllers of the Department of Defense shall be treated the same as ...
- H.R. 3002 (96th): Meat Import Act of 1979
- H.R. 13692 (95th): A bill granting the consent of Congress to the Historic Chattahoochee Compact between the States of Alabama and Georgia.
- H.R. 13964 (94th): A bill for the relief of Jeanette Green, as mother of the minor child, Ricky Baker, deceased, and as widow and administratrix of the estate of Enoch ...
- H.R. 9075 (93rd): An Act to authorize the disposition of certain office equipment and furnishings, and for other purposes.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Dickinson sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Dickinson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5437 (102nd): To require the construction of a memorial on Federal land in the ...
- H.R. 4195 (102nd): To direct the Secretary of Transportation to carry out a limited access ...
- H.R. 686 (102nd): Environmental Infrastructure Act of 1991
- H.R. 602 (102nd): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to make permanent the ...
- H.J.Res. 81 (102nd): Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States establishing English ...
- H.R. 468 (102nd): To direct the Secretary of Transportation to carry out a highway demonstration ...
- H.R. 5403 (101st): COLA Equity Act
From Jan 1965 to Oct 1992, Dickinson missed 1,432 of 12,514 roll call votes, which is 11.4%. This is much worse than the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills