Edwards, a Republican, was the representative for Alabama's 1st congressional district from 1965 to 1984.
Edwards was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4921 (98th): A bill to provide for the selection of additional lands for inclusion within the Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge.
- H.R. 2494 (97th): An act to designate the John Archibald Campbell United States Courthouse.
- H.R. 6727 (96th): A bill to establish the Bon Secour National Wildlife Refuge.
- H.R. 1524 (94th): A bill to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a study with respect to the feasibility of establishing the Bartram Trail as a national scenic ...
- H.J.Res. 417 (93rd): Joint resolution to authorize the President to issue annually a proclamation designating the month of May in each year as “National Arthritis Month”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Edwards sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (21%) Government Operations and Politics (18%) Private Legislation (13%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (13%) Environmental Protection (11%) Transportation and Public Works (8%) Labor and Employment (8%) Economics and Public Finance (8%)
Some of Edwards’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6108 (98th): A bill for the relief of Michael J. Adams.
- H.R. 4921 (98th): A bill to provide for the selection of additional lands for inclusion ...
- H.R. 4922 (98th): A bill to exclude the Fort Morgan Road from the Coastal Barrier ...
- H.R. 4695 (98th): A bill to amend the Tariff Schedules of the United States to ...
- H.R. 3673 (98th): A bill for the relief of Meenakshiben P. Patel.
- H.Con.Res. 113 (98th): A concurrent resolution approving the obligation and expenditure of funds for MX ...
- H.R. 1274 (98th): A bill to confer jurisdiction upon the United States Court of Claims ...
From Jan 1965 to Oct 1984, Edwards missed 841 of 8,847 roll call votes, which is 9.5%. This is worse than the median of 7.0% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1984. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills