Harsha was the representative for Ohio’s 6th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1961 to 1980.
Harsha is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1980 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Harsha sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 14, 1975 to Dec 13, 1980. See full analysis methodology.
Harsha was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 12634 (95th): An Act to designate a building in Pittsburg, Kansas as the “Joe Skubitz Social Security Administration Center”.
- H.R. 14956 (94th): A bill to designate the “Joe L. Evins Post Office and Federal Building”.
- H.J.Res. 726 (94th): Joint resolution to authorize and request the President to establish a “National Bicentennial Highway Safety Year”.
- H.R. 10044 (93rd): A bill to increase the amount authorized to be expended to provide facilities along the border for the enforcement of the customs and immigration laws.
- H.R. 9549 (93rd): A bill to amend title 38 of the United States Code to increase the monthly rates of disability and death pensions, and dependency and indemnity compensation, and ...
- H.R. 8554 (93rd): Employee Benefit Security Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Harsha sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (22%) Social Welfare (18%) Transportation and Public Works (15%) Agriculture and Food (12%) Taxation (10%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Commerce (8%)
Some of Harsha’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7971 (96th): A bill to provide soybean producers with the same protection from natural ...
- H.R. 7970 (96th): A bill to authorize the Secretary of Agriculture to make payments to ...
- H.R. 7161 (96th): National Usury Act
- H.R. 5466 (96th): A bill to amend title 17 of the United States Code to ...
- H.R. 4826 (96th): A bill to amend section 602 of the Federal Aviation Act of ...
- H.R. 4827 (96th): A bill to prohibit the appropriation or use of funds for the ...
- H.R. 4679 (96th): A bill to amend the Federal Aviation Act of 1958 to require ...
From Jan 1961 to Dec 1980, Harsha missed 782 of 7,602 roll call votes, which is 10.3%. This is on par with the median of 8.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1980. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills