He was previously the representative for Massachusetts’s 10th congressional district as a Democrat from 2011 to 2012.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Keating.
Keating is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Keating has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jun 14, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
William Keating sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Chair, Subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia, Energy, and the Environment
- Member, Subcommittee on Middle East, North Africa, and International Terrorism
House Committee on Armed Services
- Member, Subcommittee on Intelligence and Emerging Threats and Capabilities
- Member, Subcommittee on Strategic Forces
Keating was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 2062 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 45 Meetinghouse Lane in Sagamore Beach, Massachusetts, as the “Matthew A. Pucino Post Office”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Keating sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Public Lands and Natural Resources (27%) Armed Forces and National Security (15%) Crime and Law Enforcement (12%) Transportation and Public Works (12%) Health (9%) Finance and Financial Sector (9%) International Affairs (9%) Native Americans (6%)
Some of Keating’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 446: Reaffirming German-American friendship and cooperation under the Wunderbar Together-Germany and the U.S. initiative.
- H.R. 3068: Offshore Wind Jobs and Opportunity Act
- H.Res. 413: Expressing the immense gratitude of the House of Representatives for the acts of ...
- H.R. 312: Mashpee Wampanoag Tribe Reservation Reaffirmation Act
- H.R. 313: To authorize the Secretary of the Interior to carry out a land exchange ...
- H.R. 183: To clarify the United States interest in certain submerged lands in the area ...
- H.R. 182: To extend the authorization for the Cape Cod National Seashore Advisory Commission.
From Jan 2011 to Jun 2019, Keating missed 212 of 5,700 roll call votes, which is 3.7%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: