Keating is the representative for Massachusetts’s 9th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2013. Keating is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
He was previously the representative for Massachusetts’s 10th congressional district as a Democrat from 2011 to 2012.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Keating.
Keating is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Keating has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Feb 26, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Keating was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 2062 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 45 Meetinghouse Lane in Sagamore Beach, Massachusetts, as the “Matthew A. Pucino Post Office”.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Keating sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Keating’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 1301: To direct the Inspector General of the Department of Defense and the Comptroller ...
- H.R. 1142: To direct the Secretary of Transportation to establish a grant program for projects ...
- H.Res. 124: Supporting the people of Belarus and their democratic aspirations and condemning the election ...
- H.R. 998: To establish an offshore wind career training grant program, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 817: To extend the authorization for the Cape Cod National Seashore Advisory Commission.
- H.R. 402: CROOK Act
- H.R. 8742 (116th): To extend the availability of amounts under the Coronavirus Relief Fund.
From Jan 2011 to Mar 2021, Keating missed 224 of 6,350 roll call votes, which is 3.5%. This is worse than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: