Minshall was the representative for Ohio’s 23rd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1955 to 1974.
Minshall is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1974 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Minshall sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1973 to Dec 20, 1974. See full analysis methodology.
Minshall was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.J.Res. 1074 (93rd): Joint Resolution to provide for the appointment of Dr. Murray GellMann as Citizen Regent of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution.
- H.J.Res. 1072 (93rd): Joint resolution to provide for the reappointment of Dr. Caryl P. Haskins as Citizen Regent of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution.
- H.J.Res. 1073 (93rd): Joint resolution to provide for reappointment of Dr. William A. M. Burden as Citizen Regent of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution.
- H.R. 11646 (93rd): Energy Reorganization Act
- H.R. 8601 (93rd): A bill to amend the act of October 15, 1966 (80 Stat. 953, 20 U.S.C. 65a), relating to the National Museum of the Smithsonian Institution, so as ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Minshall sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Minshall’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.J.Res. 1074 (93rd): Joint Resolution to provide for the appointment of Dr. Murray GellMann as ...
- H.J.Res. 1072 (93rd): Joint resolution to provide for the reappointment of Dr. Caryl P. Haskins ...
- H.J.Res. 1073 (93rd): Joint resolution to provide for reappointment of Dr. William A. M. Burden ...
- H.J.Res. 1001 (93rd): Joint resolution asking that the President of the United States declare the ...
- H.R. 14070 (93rd): Hemophilia Act
- H.R. 13781 (93rd): A bill to terminate the Airlines Mutual Aid Agreement.
- H.R. 12796 (93rd): A bill to amend the Shipping Act, 1916, in order to prohibit ...
From Jan 1955 to Dec 1974, Minshall missed 694 of 4,035 roll call votes, which is 17.2%. This is much worse than the median of 9.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1974. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills