Orton was the representative for Utah’s 3rd congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1991 to 1996.
Orton is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1996 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Orton sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1991 to Oct 3, 1996. See full analysis methodology.
Orton sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (21%) Economics and Public Finance (14%) Housing and Community Development (13%) Taxation (12%) Law (11%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (10%) Finance and Financial Sector (10%) Families (8%)
Some of Orton’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4231 (104th): Principal Residence Tax Exclusion Act of 1996
- H.R. 4214 (104th): To amend the Antiquities Act to provide for the Congressional approval of ...
- H.R. 3627 (104th): To provide for the transfer of certain lands near Myton, Utah, to ...
- H.R. 3486 (104th): To dispose of certain Federal properties at Dutch John, Utah, assist local ...
- H.R. 2530 (104th): Common Sense Balanced Budget Act of 1995
- H.Res. 212 (104th): To express the sense of the House of Representatives that the provisions ...
- H.R. 2239 (104th): Mixed-Blood Ute Indian Tax Status Act
From Jan 1991 to Sep 1996, Orton missed 69 of 3,394 roll call votes, which is 2.0%. This is on par with the median of 2.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Sep 1996. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills