Owens, a Democrat, was the representative for New York’s 21st congressional district from 2013 to 2014.
He was previously the representative for New York’s 23rd congressional district (2009-2012).
In 2012 Owens was investigated for accepting impermissible travel gifts in 2011. The House Committee on Ethics concluded that the gift was impermissible, but since Owens repaid the funds, the investigation was closed. Owens did not seek reelection in 2014.
Read our 2014 Report Card for Owens.
Owens is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Owens sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Owens was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Owens sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (22%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (18%) Agriculture and Food (13%) Immigration (13%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Economics and Public Finance (9%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (4%)
Some of Owens’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5291 (113th): To amend the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States with respect ...
- H.R. 5251 (113th): Incentivizing Foreign Investment to Upgrade America’s Infrastructure Act of 2014
- H.R. 3975 (113th): To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to provide coverage ...
- H.R. 3609 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at ...
- H.R. 2250 (113th): Spending Reduction Act
- H.R. 1956 (113th): War on Debt Act of 2013
- H.R. 1608 (113th): Cody Miller Initiative for Safer Prescriptions Act
From Nov 2009 to Dec 2014, Owens missed 70 of 3,599 roll call votes, which is 1.9%. This is on par with the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2014. ProPublica has tracked 26 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: