Our unique analysis of the bills Proxmire sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1988. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Proxmire is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Proxmire was the primary sponsor of 36 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S.J.Res. 252 (100th): A joint resolution designating June 5-11, 1988, as “National NHS Neighbor Works Week”.
- S. 825 (100th): Housing and Community Development Act of 1987
- S.J.Res. 175 (99th): A joint resolution to designate the week of August 25, 1985, through August 31, 1985, as “National CPR Awareness Week”.
- S. 1019 (99th): A bill to authorize the inclusion of certain additional lands within the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
- S. 277 (98th): A bill for the relief of Marlon Dolon Opelt.
- S. 1838 (97th): An act for the relief of Cesar Noel Jump.
- S. 1890 (97th): A bill to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to disburse certain trust funds of the Lac Courte Oreilles Band of Lake Superior or Chippewa Indians of ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Proxmire sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (22%) Finance and Financial Sector (19%) Armed Forces and National Security (13%) Environmental Protection (11%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) International Affairs (11%) Health (8%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (6%)
Some of Proxmire’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 504 (100th): A resolution commending Ronald L. Tammen for his service to the U.S. ...
- S.Res. 503 (100th): A resolution commending Kenneth A. Mclean for his service to the Senate.
- S. 2758 (100th): Government Contractor Whistleblower Protection Act of 1988
- S. 2715 (100th): Emergency Bank Consolidation Act of 1988
- S.Res. 452 (100th): To stop the growth of insolvent thrift institutions.
- S. 2566 (100th): Trust Indenture Reform Act of 1988
- S. 2554 (100th): Stewart B. McKinney Homeless Assistance Amendments of 1988
From Aug 1957 to Oct 1988, Proxmire missed 16 of 12,127 roll call votes, which is 0.1%. This is better than the median of 5.9% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1988. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills