Steiger was the representative for Wisconsin’s 6th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1967 to 1978.
Steiger is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1978 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Steiger sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1973 to Oct 15, 1978. See full analysis methodology.
Steiger was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1446 (95th): A bill for the relief of Lester Bruce Priday.
- H.R. 8394 (95th): Refuge Revenue Sharing Act
- H.R. 1337 (95th): An Act to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 with respect to excise tax on certain trucks, buses, tractors, et cetera, home production of beer and ...
- H.R. 11955 (94th): Municipal Bond Fund Act
Does 4 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Steiger sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (26%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Labor and Employment (14%) Agriculture and Food (13%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (10%) Housing and Community Development (9%) Social Welfare (6%) Private Legislation (5%)
Some of Steiger’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 14286 (95th): Government Accountability Act
- H.R. 14009 (95th): Government Accountability Act
- H.R. 13897 (95th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to provide ...
- H.R. 13885 (95th): Government Accountability Act
- H.R. 13723 (95th): Government Accountability Act
- H.R. 13730 (95th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to clarify ...
- H.R. 13672 (95th): A bill to suspend the duty on freight cars until the close ...
From Jan 1967 to Oct 1978, Steiger missed 464 of 5,461 roll call votes, which is 8.5%. This is on par with the median of 8.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1978. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills